Sprague Avenue Preservation - Havana to Fancher
The city has generally completed this road preservation project on Sprague Avenue from N. Havana Street east to N. Fancher Road. A few minor, single lane closures will be scheduled in early October 2022 for small asphalt repairs and project clean up.
- Project Contractor: Inland Asphalt
- Contractor’s Public Liaison: Zach Smith, 509.828.8107 or email email@example.com.
Please contact the public liaison if you have questions regarding vehicle access or the project schedule.
Construction will be completed in phases over 13 weeks from June 13 to Sept. 30, 2022. The contractor will:
- Resurface Sprague Avenue with new asphalt from N. Havana east to N. Fancher to improve the roadway and extend pavement life.
- Repair and update sidewalk ramps to meet ADA standards.
- Install “Intelligent Transportation System” (ITS) conduit along the length of the project to link traffic signal timing.
- Repair damaged and deteriorating storm water structures.
- Access to some intersections and side streets will be temporarily restricted or closed during each project phase.
- Access to business entrances will be maintained for employees and customers throughout the project. However, businesses with multiple entrances may have one or more temporarily closed during some phases and/or during overnight paving. The contractor will provide two business days advance notice to businesses (and homeowners) whose access will be directly impacted.
- Expect temporary daytime lane restrictions; some sections of Sprague may be reduced to one lane each way resulting in slower traffic.
- Some street sections will close overnight from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. during the project. Planned closure dates:
- Havana to Custer: June 13-17
- Carnahan to Fancher: June 21-24
- Havana to Carnahan: Estimated early August
- Carnahan to Fancher: Estimated mid August
- The I-90 westbound exit at Fancher will temporarily close at night when construction impacts the Fancher/Sprague intersection. Signage will be posted.
- Please contact the contractor’s public liaison to help facilitate any evening activities or deliveries that may take place during the night closures.
Cost and benefits
The estimated cost of this project is $2.5 million. The resulting improvements will help preserve this section of Sprague Avenue, reducing the need for more costly repairs to asphalt and sidewalk ramps in the future. The city appreciates your flexibility and assistance during construction.
Tips for minimizing construction impacts
If you own or operate a business, please consider these ideas for reducing construction impacts:
- Inform your employees about the construction in advance so that they can adjust their commute time.
- Inform your suppliers and vendors about the construction in advance so that they can identify alternate routes and/or adjust delivery schedules.
- Inform customers about the construction in advance and let them know your business will be OPEN and accessible.
- Include messaging in your advertising to say “Open During Construction.”
- Include information in your business newsletters, emails and/or social media posts about the construction and resulting impacts.
Additional information and comments
Senior Engineer, City of Spokane Valley