DISCOVERY PLAYGROUND IN MIRABEAU POINT PARK
Located at beautiful Mirabeau Point Park in Spokane Valley, this multi-sensory Discovery Playground is
an accessible place where people of all ages and abilities can play, learn and discover.
A community gathering place, it offers opportunities for building healthier bodies, expanding knowledge
and building new relationships with family, friends and the community.
*CLOSED FOR WINTER AND WILL REOPEN IN THE SPRING*
SPLASH PAD OPERATES MAY 15-OCTOBER 15, from 10am-8pm.
ALL PARK RESTROOMS ARE CLOSED OCTOBER 16-APRIL 14.
New! Discovery Playground has two small shelters outside the playground perimeter fencing available for reservations: Shelter #1-West and Shelter #2-East.
SET TIMES ARE: 10am-12pm / 1pm-3pm / 4pm-6pm
Picnic shelters inside the playground are unavailable for reservations; enjoy on a first-come, first-served basis.
As with all our parks, playground hours are dawn to 10pm, and there is no admission fee.
Per SVMC 6.05.070, pets are not permitted on any designated picnic area or play area, which includes Discovery Playground (except for service animals.).
Children must be supervised.
For more information, call (509) 688-0300.
Click here for map to Discovery Playground.
Click here for Photo Gallery of Discovery Playground.
About Discovery Playground
Discovery Playground is one more element fulfilling the dream of those who envisioned Mirabeau Point as a multi-use community campus for public recreational, educational and entertainment activities.
Located near the Spokane River just north of I-90 and east of Pines Road, Mirabeau Point Park is the site of Mirabeau Meadows, Mirabeau Springs, and the Mirabeau Trails Natural Area. It is home to CenterPlace, Spokane Valley’s premier regional event facility, which also houses the Spokane Valley Senior Citizens Center. Located nearby are the Spokane Valley YMCA and the Centennial Trail. Served by STA Bus Route 32.
A Place of Discovery
Features in the Discovery Playground are designed to provide accessible and imaginative learn-and-play activities for a variety of ages and abilities. Using sight, sound, scent and touch, the elements of the playground are designed to provide activities that support physical, educational and social development. A variety of inviting gathering areas will accommodate individual, family and group activities.
Exploring Eastern Washington
Designed around the theme “Exploring Eastern Washington,” Discovery Playground provides outdoor educational opportunities where classes and groups can pursue physical, earth and life sciences, and health and fitness education.
Discovery Playground Features Include:
Sun Gateway and Basalt Boulder Play
• Gathering plaza, climbing boulders and a bridge over a dry creek bed
Steelhead Trout River Bed "Splash Pad"
• Basalt water sprays, trout sculptures, seating and jumping water jets
• Herb garden, fossils, benches and a raised planting bed
• A quiet group gathering area
• Wavy walk, bridge, larger-than-life objects, vine tunnel and sensory plantings
Bear Den Sand Play with Mammoth Fossil Find
• Bear den, mammoth and fossils, water spigot and raised sand table
Big Horn Sheep Challenge Steps, Double Slide and Sensory Garden
• Shallow and steep steps with wrap-around garden, and sculpture/seating/talk tubes
Eagle’s Nest Observation Deck
• Watershed and salmon wall, glacier rock slide, climbing wall, giant eagle’s nest sitting circle, swings, spinners, fish climbing sculpture and boulder seating
Elk Valley Picnic Plaza
• Shelter, tables, seating, boulders, sundial, fossils and split rock
• Musical elements in seating nooks with a larger musical area
• Features Eastern Washington flora with a variety of scents, textures and colors
Discovery Pavers and Hidden Walk
• Educational pavers leading along a pathway with benches